I am currently a Postdoctoral scholar in Computer Science at Oregon State University working with Tom Dietterich. I received by Ph.D. in Computer Science at the University of British Columbia with David Poole. I maintain the blog for the Institute for Computational Sustainability and I am one of the moderators of the Science on Google+, the largest general science community on Google+.
My research explores optimization algorithms appropriate for problems with spatial structure, particularly in computational sustainability domains. My thesis introduced a policy gradient optimization algorithm called Equilibrium Policy Gradients(EPG) for spatiotemporal domains. EPG utilizes a parametrized policy defined as the equilibrium distribution of a Markov chain built from local causal policies. A recent paper on my algorithm can be found on mendeley.
Other Interests: machine learning, reinforcement learning, causal modelling, Bayesian Networks, inference in probabilistic graphical models, game theory, mechanism design, object oriented software design, logic programming.
I am on the job market looking for an Assistant Faculty position in Computer Science. Feel free to contact me by email(<lastname> at eecs dot oregonstate dot edu), on Google+(+Mark Crowley) or on Twitter(@compthink).
- November 25, 2013: I’ll be giving a colloqium talk of the School of Electrical Engineering & Computer Science at Oregon State University.
- October, 2013 : Attending the 1st Multidisciplinary Conference on Reinforcement Learning and Decision Making (RLDM2013) in Princeton presenting my latest work on EPG planning in spatial domains with experiments on a wildfire fuel treatment simulator. See all the abstracts and papers for RLDM2013 here.
- September, 2013: Went kayaking with Humpback whales in the Great Bear Rainforest!
- August 5, 2013: Extended abstract was accepted for RLDM2013.
- July, 2013: Attending AAAI 2013 in Bellevue, Washington for the paper “PAC Optimal Planning for Invasive Species Management : Improved Exploration for Reinforcement Learning from Simulator-Defined MDPs” coauthored with Thomas Dietterich, Majid Alkaee Taleghan.
- July, 2013: Attending UAI 2013 in Bellevue, Washington.
- May, 2013: Attending the Canadian Operational Research Society (CORS2013) in Vancouver, BC
- February 25, 2013: Giving an invited talk on my research at the Computer Science Department at the University of Alberta in Edmonton.
- January, 2013: Gave a talk at the Informs Computing Society Conference in Sante Fe, New Mexico.
- December 2012: Attended NIPS2012 in Lake Tahoe, Nevada.